Have you ran out of books to read during self-isolation?
With book shops and libraries closed it may feel like you have no options BUT we have found something that’s going to make life in lockdown so much better for reading lovers – Borrowbox – and the best thing is its completely FREE!
Borrowbox allows you to borrow eBooks and eAudiobooks free from your library using the BorrowBox app. Basically, it’s a bit like the iBooks or Kindle store, but free. You can also read magazines and newspapers for free too, or even take language and other courses. So, its a godsend at the moment!
All you need to access Borrowbox is a valid membership in any Irish library. If you’re not a member of the library, fear not; you can open a digital library account in a matter of minutes.
How to join the library online today
- To join the library online, fill out this form with your name, address, email and some other details.
- Click, ‘Submit’ and you’ll be taken to a new page that gives you a ‘Temporary’ library barcode.
- This will be your library number and you need it to access online services so save it somewhere or write it down and keep it safe.
- This page will also instruct you to ‘set a PIN’ and will give you a link to do that.
- Once you’ve set your PIN and you have your library number, you’re all ready to access all the online services.
How to set up Borrowbox
Then you just:
- choose your library from the dropdown menu;
- enter your library number where it asks for your ID/Barcode; and,
- enter your PIN where it asks for PIN/Password.
That’s it, you’re signed in and ready to browse and read!
You can read more in the BorrowBox User Guide
Setting up Borrowbox really is incredibly simple – we tried it out for ourselves and we are very impressed with the app and what it offers.
If you’re looking for some reading inspiration head over to our book section!