Dear Katie: Do you have any tips for dealing with stress during exam season?
I’m in 6th year and I’m starting to feel really stressed about the Leaving Cert , especially with everything going on. Do you have any simple tips for dealing with stress during exam season?
Below I have listed some simple tips and tricks to deal with exam stress and feeling overwhelmed during exam season:
- Let someone else make a cup of tea for you
- Hug someone close to you; dog, cat, mam, dad, sibling, gran etc
- Take a walk in the fresh air
- Put on a nice facemask
- Get your nails done
- Take a long hot shower/ bubble bath
- Listen to your favourite album/ artist
- Watch your favourite movie
- Get new pyjamas
- Eat your favourite food/ Treat yourself to your favourite takeaway
- Do some exercise; go for a run, go to the gym, take a dance class etc
- Go for a coffee with a friend
- Read a book
- Treat yourself to that top that has been sitting in your shopping basket for months
- Colour a page of a stress relieving colouring book
- Light a nicely scented candle
- Cuddle up with a nice hot water bottle
- Put fresh sheets on your bed
- Get a new shampoo
- Take a yoga class or try it yourself at home
- Try doing something new that you wouldn’t normally do such as taking a dance/gym class, going for a run/walk
- Bake something nice
- Try writing how your feeling down on a page (if it would be helpful, tear up that piece of paper and throw it away)
- Write down 10 positive things
- Take a nap (stress can make you extremely exhausted. After a short power nap, you will be fresh and able to think clearly again)
- Watch an episode of Friends; it’s light, funny and it’s sure to brighten your mood
- Give yourself a few minutes to think about plans for after the exams. Having something to look forward to will keep you focused on your exams
- Take regular breaks, your brain can only learn so much at one time
- Enjoy regular healthy snacks. Your brain is a muscle so it needs to be treated like one. Your brain gets tired too and uses lots of energy so don’t forget to refuel during particularly gruelling study sessions
- Lastly, just BREATHE! No matter how stressed or overwhelmed you’re feeling, you can always ask someone for help. Talking about these feelings can help but also remember, you can and you will get through it.
One, some or all of these help me when I’m feeling stressed or overwhelmed during exam season and just in life in general. Everyone feels like this at some point, it’s natural especially during exam season. Always stop and think, if it’s not going to matter in five years, don’t let it worry you for five minutes.
What's Your Reaction?